Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

some of my really early work as an artist



Tonight I was at my Dad's house. I went into his study and saw a picture hanging from his wall. It was one of my first pastel drawings. I noticed a box on the floor and it had two other framed works of mine, one a pencil drawing and another one of my first water colors.
I looked at the date written on the watercolor painting and it was exactly 20 years ago that I painted that panda. That means I was only 9 years old when I created that pastel drawing and watercolor painting. For being 9 years old it's pretty good. It's amazing how I've grown and all the things that can happen in 20 years. Mark Twain said, "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do." To look back on work I did 20 years ago, I just can't get over that time has flown by so fast, and that I was once so young. Mr. Twain's quote is so true, and I am so grateful to my parents for recognizing some sort of talent at such a young age and getting me into those art classes early on. I'm so grateful.
I hope that 20 years from now I can look back at work from this year and again be grateful for decisions made and not be disappointed in what I didn't do, but rather filled with gratitude for making the most of every day, every talent, and every opportunity.


James Ramos early artwork at age 9

2 comments:

Alex Deligiannis said...

You'd be hard pressed to do a better panda today, I bet. That's sick.

james ramos said...

Haha Thanks!!!